Friday 30 January 2009

Keeping it Fluid

What never ceases to amaze me when I'm writing these days is how I never (or rarely) know what I'm going to write about when I set about the task. I think that I have my studies to thank for this sense of discovery which makes writing such a pleasure. I won't bore you with the details of that but I will bore you will the details of this ........ Oh no I won't, which just goes to prove the point. I was going to show you a photo I took this morning but it wasn't to be after all so I'll have to explain it instead.

There was another pretty sunrise this morning so whilst our daughter took the dog out around the front garden, I thought I'd take a picture. Just as I was about to press the button, he cocked his leg which was both unwelcome and unexpected because usually he doesn't bother these days. It was only then that I noticed how the cat was perched on top of the bird bath in the middle of the lawn. I'm not sure if he was frozen solid to the stone, waiting for it to thaw for a drink or even expecting breakfast to arrive. All of these little incidents sparked off a train of thought different to the one with which I had started off. So, filled with creative, inspirational ideas - albeit very small ones - I thought I'd post the photo here and write something outstanding. I connected up my camera but the pictures I took don't seem to be there. I'm not sure if it's because a), the battery is flat and I can't seem to get the cover off, b) I'd had to wrestle the camera away from our youngest son before connecting it up or c), what I had suspected all along is true; that I never really understood how to use it, only pure fluke has enabled me to do so up until now and I've finally been discovered for what I am. A failure. Whatever, you're not going to see the photo now.

So, I'm back to square one telling you how unpredictable writing can be, how it is both joyous and frustrating. Willingness to keep it fluid (I'm not referring to the dog's poor joint mobility here) bring me tales of the unexpected on a daily basis.

1 comment:

pierre l said...

I an glad you managed to find the picture in the end.