Sunday 3 February 2008

Inheriting someone else's dreams

‘Don’t be daft, Beryl, he’d never be interested in an outsider like me!’

‘That’s what you think. I saw the way he was looking at you at the party last night. He couldn’t take his eyes off you.’

‘Well, you know what? You’re wrong. He was too interested in that bony bitch Rebecca. I’d swear I heard her say “Daddy’s buying a private hospital, you know” at least ten times between the music. As far as Rupert’s concerned, she’s definitely up for it. You must’ve heard her neighing like a horse at his tales about his rugby touring days.’

‘It’s hard to believe that he’d be interested in inheriting someone else’s dreams when he’s got such a promising future of his own. Even with a paper bag over her head, it would still be like riding in the Grand National.’

‘You’re wicked, you know. Funny, but wicked.’

‘I’d give him three days max before he’s on the phone begging for a date.’

‘I like your optimism but I wouldn’t put money on it. Anyway, let’s get on with things. Have you got the sellotape?’

‘What for? It’s not like we’re going to be able to wrap it up without bits poking out all over the place. We may as well just leave it and run.’

‘What, just like that? No way. Rupert will guess and spoil the big reveal. Let’s just cover it up loosely at least. We can always join bits of paper together so that the main parts are covered.’

‘OK, whatever you say. You’re in charge!’

‘Exactly.’

‘It was your dream. Nothing to do with me, thank god. Far too creepy.’

‘I know but ‘creepy’ has its uses.’

They wrapped the bony body in good quality paper but had to use cheap tape left over from Christmas.

No comments: